The Mountain Goats at The National, Richmond, VA
Last night I had the great good fortune to see my favorite band, John Darnielle / The Mountain Goats, in Richmond. It was the first show in their tour in support of their new album, Transcendental Youth, which you can stream from Rolling Stone.
This isn’t a review of the album, or the band, or the show, as my strengths don’t lend themselves to writing reviews like that. I’ll just quote John Hodgman’s brilliant review: “TRANSCENDENTAL YOUTH is full of songs about people who madly, stupidly, blessedly won’t stop surviving, no matter who gives up on them.”
But, for posterity, I wanted to record the setlist. I’ve linked to the songs on Amazon, when available, and to YouTube when they’re from an unreleased/unavailable album.
- Lakeside View Apartments Suite (Amazon)
- Amy Aka Spent Gladiator 1 (Amazon)
- Up the Wolves (Amazon)
- Love Love Love (Amazon)
- Isaiah 45:23 (Amazon)
- Harlem Roulette (Amazon)
- 1 Samuel 15:23 (Amazon)
- Hello, Old Rabbit (YouTube)
- Civilian (Wye Oak cover) (Amazon (free))
- Steal Smoked Fish (YouTube) (only released on the 7″ that came with the first 1,000 preorders of Transcendental Youth)
- White Cedar (Amazon)
- In Memory of Satan (Amazon)
- Cry for Judas (Amazon)
- San Bernadino (Amazon)
- First Few Desperate Hours (Amazon)
- Never Quite Free (Amazon)
- Spent Gladiator 2 (Amazon)
- Encore: This Year (Amazon)
- Encore: The Diaz Brothers (Amazon)
- Encore: No Children (Amazon)
I don’t think he actually played the title track (Transcendental Youth) from the new album, and I really would have loved to hear Counterfeit Florida Plates, and, of course, The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton, but maybe those were being held for a second encore, which, frankly, the audience didn’t deserve. Seriously, future tour cities? Pull for a second encore.
It was a phenomenal show, with the highlight for me being the first encore song, where they played “This Year” with a horn section (the horns from the opening act, Matthew E. White. It’s hard to articulate how much the horns added, and I hope The Mountain Goats will record a version in the studio with the horn section. If you go to one of the other shows on this tour, PLEASE grab a video of “This Year” and put it on YouTube? The world will owe you.
John Darnielle is a treasure. I’m so glad I got to see him last night.