I’m a frontend engineer in Oakland, California. I’m currently at LaunchDarkly. Previously, I was an engineer at Slack and IFTTT. I also founded and ran a personal finance webapp for several years.
What I’m looking for
I think a lot about work culture, and what goes into creating a place where people can both do excellent work and can flourish and grow as humans.
I’m working on a longer piece, but for now, here are some of the things I’m thinking about:
- Are the people kind? Humble? Friendly?
- Is the team diverse? Are the founders and execs women and/or people of color? (This one is really important to me.)
- Do people from under-represented groups feel like their voices are heard? Are their voices sought out / amplified?
- Do people lift one another up, and do they help everyone improve? Are they quick to share what they know? Can people communicate well?
- Is the company’s culture healthy and do the values (or, perhaps, operating principles / attributes) mean something to them? Will they commit to them even if it means they might lose business? (For the record, excellent values / operating principles / attributes docs look like those at Oxide and Ashby.)
- Are there healthy manager / IC relationships?
- Does the product development team actively seek input from the support and sales teams, to better understand their customers’ needs?
- Is the business side of the house both sustainable and humane? What does the trajectory look like?
- Does the product make the world a better place?
- Is the UX delightful?
- Does the team prioritize accessibility, so everyone can use their product?
- (Not a hard requirement, but do they have a Content Designer / UX Writer on the team? At the very least, do they understand that words are a critical part of good design?)
Want to say hi? email@example.com